Sunday, September 16, 2007

Ode to the Farmer's Market


One of the best things I love about summer are the farmers markets where all the local farmers come out to sell home-grown fruits and vegetables, fresh cut flowers and home-made goodies. I love the hustle and bustle of it all. My favorite is the Minneapolis downtown Nicolle Mall farmers market every Thursday, mostly because I work down there and all I have to do is go outside during lunch to buy beautiful flowers, organic honey, handmade soap, and homegrown veggies. Its really special to me, because once winter rolls around there really isn't anyone outside on the streets. But during summer and the farmer's market, the sidewalk is packed with vendors and lots of people enjoying the sun. I can tell that the season is about to end, when this last Thursday, there weren't as many vendors outside selling as there has been. But there were still a lot of people outside trying to enjoy the crisp fall weather as much as possible before the first frost of the season.
The farmer's market isn't just fruits and vegetables, there are vendors for fresh baked bread, meat, salsa, baked pastries, jam, jelly, honey, nuts, and organic soap. I love supporting local businesses and entrepreneurs and this is one of the best ways that I know how.
Nicollet Mall Farmer's Market
Nicollet Mall Farmer's Market

Nicollet Mall Farmer's Market - fresh flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment